Dolphins on the beach, finished

dolphins

Dolphins frolicking in the water under a sliver of a moon.

Turns out the quilt just needed a little moon and voila, it is ready for show time! I had thought I was going to add a bunch more stuff, but after talking with a variety of people, got the idea that the only thing missing to make it a perfect visit to the beach was the moon.

Dolphins and shells: teasers from a work in progress

Now that January has come and gone, I am hoping that the schedule will more amenable to some quality studio time again. On that note, I am posting a couple teaser pictures, which I posted earlier today, from a WIP.

This little quilt is about 12X 17 inches and is part of a group challenge. The pathway (mine is seaweed) connects all seven little quilts. It starts in the forest and ends at the beach. We were tasked with using two techniques we’ve explored in our group since we started. I have used paint and foil (so far), but have also incorporated some techniques I learned or taught myself since last year as well.  The curved piecing is courtesy of Karen Eckmeier, and the little tulle tube that encloses the sea shells is similar to something I did on the Blood Brain Barrier quilt I made last year.

Dolphins leaping in the waves. Stitched down with metallic thread and embellished with foil.

Real sea shells on fake (fabric) seaweed. Contained by tulle and then sewed down with a free motion quilting meander to make individual pockets for each shell.

When mine is done, and everyone else’s too, I will do a blog post that shows all seven together.