Probably my weakest quilting skill is free motion quilting. To that end, I’m making myself do it. I did one session last week and I just wimped out and did my usual not-very-good meander.
This week, I decided I needed to branch out and do something else. A few years ago I took a machine quilting class and one of the patterns I did there was a sort of pebble. I thought this seemed manageable and felt it would be a perfect background texture for a quilt inspired by toad ova.
I almost always use a variegated thread, as I did here, and I found the effect quite pleasing. Although my shapes are rather imperfect and sometimes I forgot I was doing circles (oops), it doesn’t seem too apparent. I feel this is adequate and am quite pleased that I have managed to do something a little different. Tomorrow I will aim for a different shape, after I figure out what shape that is!
Once the background was complete, it was time to put the toad ova on top. I didn’t take any pictures in progress as there seemed little point. Here is how it looks now. I may decided to stitch over the red on the eggs more, but I have time to figure that out.
This quilt is roughly 9 inches on each side. It was inspired by a picture I saw of Mercury (II) Iodide crystals. I used Angelina film and folded and layered it to make the crystals. So, you might think it’s just Modern Art, but really it’s chemistry posing as Modern Art.
When I started my art quilt journey in late 2012, I asked friends if they wanted to sign up to receive one. I think I started with about 12 people. I have now made over 50. Some for commission even.
This one is for a friend who was on that original list. She sent me an image that had meaning for her and this is what I made. She is thrilled with it. It was an interesting project for me in that I had made trees before, but not quite like this. I was going for this particular shape which didn’t seem to be working with the strips I was used to working with. I just could not get them to work. I decided to switch fabric and voila, all of a sudden it came together! I ended up using the original fabric as leaves and I stitched over them with a metallic green thread because I cannot resist sparkles. It measures roughly 11 inches tall and 19 inches wide.
I’m calling it Irish Trees because the original image had Celtic knots involved, but that was not working for me and I was pleased with it without the knots.
This is a little art quilt, about 12 by 16 inches, designed by me and finished in May 2014. I started with the pulsar waves, added the constellations, then the compass and the ship’s steering wheel and finished it off with a little bit of cast off ship’s net (made with ribbon lace).
I quilted the base with a very traditional cross hatch pattern, but used invisible thread as I just wanted the texture. This represent traditional women’s work. I wanted that to underlay the pulsar waves which were discovered by Jocelyn Bell Burnell. As this was a gift for a friend who likes sailing, I wanted to make a connection to navigation and the stars, so I added the constellations at the bottom, the compass at the top, and the ship’s steering wheel. The little bit of ribbon lace was a bit of whimsy to represent ship’s netting.